To the Parents and Guardians and Students of the Lead Deadwood Schools:
On Tuesday, March 17, Governor Kristi Noem extended the closure of schools in South Dakota one week. At this time, school is set to resume on March 30. Over the past week, we have been busy planning for this possibility.
All teachers have been asked to put together lesson plans for students to do at home on a weekly basis for all students and communicate those plans to parents and students. All students who have digital access need to login to their K-12 email for updates and ongoing correspondence. If you need help with that, contact Jamie Hohn at Jamie.Hohn@k12.sd.us. If you are unable to access the email and have no Internet, please let Jamie know. We will be distributing learning packets beginning on Friday, March 20. We ask that you follow the schedule below to access the school and to pick up materials. We ask that only 1 person per household attends to pick up items, so that we do not create a larger gathering.
Elementary School: In the lunchroom at the following times on Friday, March 20:
PreK 8:00-9:00 K 9:00-10:00
1 10:00-11:00 2 11:00-12:00
3 12:00-1:00 4 1:00-2:00
Parents will enter and exit the elementary building through the Kindergarten doors.
3rd, 4th and 5th grade students will be issued the computer they use in their classroom so they will be able to login at home. Parents may elect to use their home computer to access virtual lessons.
Middle School: In the Multi-purpose room by first letter of last name on Friday, March 20:
6 A-G 8:00-8:30 H-P 8:30-9:00 Q-Z 9:00-9:30
7 A-G 10:00-10:30 H-P 10:30-11:00 Q-Z 11:00-11:30
8 A-G 12:00-12:30 H-P 12:30-1:00 Q-Z 1:00-1:30
High School: In the cafeteria by first letter of last name on Friday, March 20:
9 A-G 8:00-8:30 H-P 8:30-9:00 Q-Z 9:00-9:30
10 A-G 10:00-10:30 H-P 10:30-11:00 Q-Z 11:00-11:30
11 A-G 12:00-12:30 H-P 12:30-1:00 Q-Z 1:00-1:30
12 A-G 1:30-2:00 H-P 2:00-2:30 Q-Z 2:30-3:00
Here are a few other items:
- All enrolled students in the Lead-Deadwood School District will be served free breakfast and lunch. All meals will be distributed at the High School through the outside cafeteria door beginning on March 23 from 10:00 am – 11:00 am. On Monday, they will receive lunch for Monday and Breakfast for Tuesday. Tuesday they will receive Tuesday lunch and Wednesday breakfast. Thursday receive Thursday lunch and Friday breakfast. Friday they will receive Friday lunch and a breakfast.
- We ask that only 1 person per household attends to pick lunch, so that we do not create a larger gathering.
- All school activities are suspended and/or cancelled during the closure, including practices.
- We will communicate via phone calls and email with all families and students beginning on March 23 to assist you in answering questions and addressing concerns.
- No one will be allowed in the buildings without clearance by an administrator
- Regarding make up days, we do not have enough information currently to give you an answer, but when we know, we will let you know.
We recognize how difficult this situation is for everyone. We will be flexible and accommodating as we move forward. When you have questions or concerns or would just like to talk, please feel free to reach out to us. We are so looking forward to getting all of our students back and returning to our normal school life. Take care and stay safe!
Dr. Dan Leikvold
Lead-Deadwood School District